Cough is a symptom of an obstruction in the respiratory tract, which can originate in the trachea, bronchial tubes, pharynx, and the pleura lining of the lungs. As per Ayurveda, cough is predominantly an effect of the vitiation of the Vata dosha; however, the Kapha dosha and Pitta dosha can also cause cough. Frequent and severe coughs may lead to many complications such as vomiting, pelvic and abdominal hernias, insomnia, red-eye, and a decrease in blood flow to our brain can also lead to fainting. However, these conditions are easy to treat using herbal or ayurvedic medicines.
Below given are some of the effective tips and remedies to control cough.
Herbs that Aid in Cough Treatment
Betel Leaves – Crush the betel leaves along with a few drops of water and make a paste out of it. Apply this paste on your chest and experience some amazing results.
Clove – Cloves help in reducing the irritation of the throat. If the coughs are due to the inflammation of the pharynx, then cloves are very effective.
Garlic – Take freshly prepared garlic syrup at least 2 – 3 times a day to get relief from for whooping cough. If the symptoms still persist, try increasing the dosage and consult a physician.
Fenugreek – Boil the Fenugreek seeds in water for 20 – 30 minutes and then take gargles using this boiled water. This will help you provide relief from coughs associated with sore throats.
Henna – Henna helps in curing cough related issues. It also provides relief from sore throat.
Butea – Butea leaves can treat inflamed and congested throats. Boil the Butea leaves in water and use it as a mouthwash to cure sore throats and coughs caused due to septic throats.
Home Remedies for Cough
- Prepare a mixture with the extract of tulsi leaves, honey, and ginger and consume this herbal mixture at least 2 times a day.
- You can eliminate spasmodic coughs by consuming a mixture of garlic, clove oil and honey every night before going to bed.
- Chewing 3 – 5 pieces of long pepper will help in stopping the coughs at night. The extract oozes into the mouth and the urge to cough will get suppressed.
- Prepare some fresh cardamom powder and dissolve it in water. Consume this water at least 3 times a day to keep the cough at bay.
- Consuming figs will help in clearing the phlegm in the chest cavity and will provide relief from cough.
Dietary Treatments for Cough
- Try to avoid cold foods as it can aggravate the throat further.
- Try to avoid foods like watermelons, cucumbers, oranges, and papayas as it can cause excessive cooling of the body.
- Consuming fennel seeds along with figs will aid in treating cough.