Karpooravalli also is known as Panikoorka, Doddapatre, and Indian Borage. It is a highly aromatic perennial herb with a lot of health benefits and medicinal uses and is mainly used for treating cough and cold. Karpooravalli can also be used to treat asthma, fever, aiding weight loss, treating grey hair and dandruff, and for promoting hair growth.
The botanical name of karpooravalli is PlectranthusAmboinicus and it is found mainly in South Indian states. The leaves are aromatic and fleshy. It grows well in sunlight and also in partial shades. It is used in preparing certain pachadi, chutney, and rasams. It is also used as a substitute for oregano in cooking.
The Traditional and Medicinal Uses of Karpooravalli
- One of the best home remedies for cough and cold is to drink karpooravallirasam. It is also used to treat malaria fever.
- The presence of high amounts of carvacrol, and thymol, both excellent expectorants, helps in treating cold, sore threat, cough, and asthma.
- The anti-viral properties of Karpooravalli are effective against VSV, HSV1 and HIV.
- Grind the fresh leaves of karpooravalli with little water and consume it to treat all the respiratory problems.
- Applying the juice of karpooravalli on the forehead is a good remedy for treating headache. The leaf paste is also used to treat wounds, boils and for treating skin diseases. Karpooravalli improves collagen deposition, reduces epithelialization period, and increases wound contraction.
- Karpooravalli is used as an ingredient for making oil baths as it helps in preventing headache and cold especially in winter season. It is used for treating hair problems and for treating dandruff.
- Anti-fungal properties: The essential oil from Karpooravalli, karpooravalli leaf decoction and leaf extract has powerful anti-bacterial properties and is effective against bacterial strains like Salmonella Typhimurium, and Escherichia coli.
- It is used in the treatment of skin infections, mouth ulcers, hiccups, indigestion, and colic asthma.
- Inhale the vapor of boiling karpooravalli leaves to remove chest congestion. You can also apply the juice on the chest to get relief.
- It can be applied externally for treating centipede and scorpion bites. The juice can also be used as a natural mosquito repellent.
- The antifungal properties of karpooravalli are highly effective against fungus like Penicillium, Aspergillus Ochraceus, and Aspergillus Niger.
- It can also be used as an effective mouth wash. The high amounts of carvacrol present in karpooravalli leaves help in preventing dental problems and bacterial infection.
- Karpooravalli essential oil and karpooravalli inhibits the growth of breast cancer cells and is effective against lung cancer.
- Karpooravalli is extremely useful for diabetic patients as it helps in treating problems associated with diabetes apart from reducing high blood sugar levels. Patients with diabetic foot ulcers can see quick results as it helps in faster wound healing.
- This herb is also used to treat digestive issues like diarrhea, indigestion, and dyspepsia. Karpooravalli has prebiotic properties, which helps in the growth of probiotic bacteria, essential for gut health.
- Karpooravalli is also helpful for people who are suffering from arthritis. It helps in reducing inflammation and pain without any side effects.
Karpooravalli is one of the ingredients in the manufacturing of Kaba sura kudineer, which is effective against fever, viral infections, cough and breathing difficulties. It also stimulates body immunity against pathogens.